September 28, 2008

I've got the blues

I am pissed off!!!! On the way back from getting milk, I drove past Somerville theater (which is less than a mile from here!) and saw that Vieux Farka Toure is playing today at 8pm. It was past 9pm and I cannot put into words what I felt when I realized I had missed a golden opportunity.

Back home, reading previous posts on Vieux (1, 2)
and his legendary father (1, 2, 3) I noted that I had written I have to catch Vieux when he is in town the next time. I even remember seeing couple months back that he is on tour in the US again this year, though he was here last year.



But somehow, it either slipped my mind or I had no idea that he was going to be in Boston this weekend. If I did, I would have been there... NO QUESTIONS ABOUT IT!

Sadly now, I have to wait for some future opportunity.... when, given his rising popularity*, I fear will be when tickets will have become 2-3x as expensive as today; not to mention it may not be in the small auditorium setting of the Somerville Theater that I love so much more thanbigger concert halls.
* Earlier this year, he won the BBC World Music Awards award for Best Newcomer.
For now, I'm listening to the blues this evening (Thankfully, WGBH has great blues every Saturday night from 9pm to 1am.
Leave you with just couple of reference links to music from Africa.
and point you to last.fm, where you can listen to 10 full tracks of Vieux's music.

No comments:

Not one more refugee death, by Emmy Pérez

And just like that, my #NPM2018 celebrations end with  a poem  today by Emmy Pérez. Not one more refugee death by Emmy Pérez A r...