September 12, 2008

High on music

I had previously posted links to two videos by the Pakistani sufi singer, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan but surprisingly it was not these two videos of performances from 1985, which are my favorite.

First, the qawali, Sochta Hoon Woh Kitne Masoom Thay

Simply brilliant!

And then this...Yadan Vichre Sajan diyan aayan te akhian chon menh wasda ("the memories of my old beloved came to mind, annd my tears drop like rain")

Just see the audience getting high on the music... (with music like this, who needs other substances to get high.)

Update: Leave you with a video of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's nephew, Rahat Ali Khan, singing the song, The Long Road, which was originally sung by his uncle (and Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder, for the movie, Dead Man Walking.
(Thanks to Amit for reminding me again of this performance, which I remember seeing sometime last year.) This video was a great way for me to start a Saturday morning... we all do walk the long road!



And I wished for so long, cannot stay...
All the precious moments, cannot stay...
It's not like wings have fallen, cannot stay...
But I feel something's missing, cannot say...

Holding hands are daughters and sons
And their faiths just falling down, down, down, down...
I have wished for so long
How I wish for you today

We all walk the long road. Cannot stay...
There's no need to say goodbye...
All the friends and family
All the memories going round, round, round, round
I have wished for so long
How I wish for you today

And the wind keeps roaring
And the sky keeps turning gray
And the sun is set
The sun will rise another day...

We all walk the long road. Cannot stay...
There's no need to say goodbye...
All the friends and family
All the memories going round, round, round, round
I have wished for so long
How I wish for you today
How I've wished for so long
How I wish for you today

We all walk the long road (3x)


No comments:

Not one more refugee death, by Emmy Pérez

And just like that, my #NPM2018 celebrations end with  a poem  today by Emmy Pérez. Not one more refugee death by Emmy Pérez A r...