September 8, 2008

In Quiet Desperation

I just put up a "Status Update" on Facebook, which reads:
Sanjeev is having yet another anxious restless agitated distressed unsettled wasteful Monday! And thus, in quiet desperation, our lives drift along...
The "Quiet Desperation" comes, of course, from Henry David Thoreau's essay, Economy, from his book, Walden.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation....... A stereotyped but unconscious despair is concealed even under what are called the games and amusements of mankind. There is no play in them, for this comes after work. But it is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things. "
Facebook has been, in some way, my "game and amusement" these past few months. (By no means do I spend more time there than at my blog... but my blogging has been going on for 2+ years while Facebook is a recent addition. I got into FB to keep in touch with a cousin but now have a network of 50+ friends and acquaintances linked there. I do not spend much time there now except heading there couple times a day to update my "status" and catch up on what other people are saying through their status or other posts. I, however, did spend a lot of time at the site playing Scramble and Word Twist in June-July even as I was launching in what has proven to be a frustrating job-search process. Now, after 3+ months of not getting anywhere with the job search, I lie in wait of an uncertain future - disheartened with discontent and wallowing in quiet desperation.

I can't wait for the day when I do not have the time to go put up dumb Status updates on Facebook!

No comments:

Not one more refugee death, by Emmy Pérez

And just like that, my #NPM2018 celebrations end with  a poem  today by Emmy Pérez. Not one more refugee death by Emmy Pérez A r...