September 21, 2008

I feel ancient (and I am a fool)

I have been strolling the internet and scrolling through a whole bunch of poetry and literature blogs tonight. Found a post with the poem Four Poems for Robin by Gary Snyder at one of them, from which I excerpt these lines that resonated with me!
I feel ancient, as though I had
Lived many lives.
And may never now know
If I am a fool
Or have done what my
----- karma demands.
Also these beautiful lines from a Mark Strand poem called The Remains; posted here.
Time tells me what I am. I change and I am the same.
I empty myself of my life and my life remains.
How powerful those 2 lines. How beautiful. Reminds me of something I read earlier:
"When language fails, poetry begins".
Go read the entire piece where that gem of a sentence appears. (A succinct hurrah for poetry, if there ever was one!) It is something Andrew Joran (never heard of him before this!) wrote in a piece called “The Emergency”, which....
..... originally appeared as a limited-circulation chapbook from Velocities press (2002) and was subsequently published in Andrew Joron’s collection of poetry, Fathom (Black Square Editions, 2003), and in The Cry At Zero: Selected Prose (Counterpath Press, 2007).
I found it at the Poetry-Poetic site, which is going to have daily political poetry news - from September 15th till the elections on November 4th, 2008.

No comments:

Not one more refugee death, by Emmy Pérez

And just like that, my #NPM2018 celebrations end with  a poem  today by Emmy Pérez. Not one more refugee death by Emmy Pérez A r...