March 10, 2009

Try like mad to cope with it

Quote of the day:
I was asked to act when I couldn't act. I was asked to sing "Funny Face" when I couldn't sing and dance with Fred Astaire when I couldn't dance - and do all kinds of things I wasn't prepared for. Then I tried like mad to cope with it. - Audrey Hepburn



Here she is, accepting the Oscars for best actress in 1951 for what is one of my wife's favorite movies - Roman Holiday. Such grace, such humility.


Contrast that with these recent expressions of fake over-animated joy of recent years! (Yes... Roberto Benigni went crazy at the Oscars too.. but that was at least entertaining and funny!)

Btw, speaking of emotion at the Oscar presentations, very few beat Charlie Chaplin's emotional and yet succinct speech when he (finally) received an Oscar (albeit an Honorary one) from the Academy.

No comments:

Not one more refugee death, by Emmy Pérez

And just like that, my #NPM2018 celebrations end with  a poem  today by Emmy Pérez. Not one more refugee death by Emmy Pérez A r...