March 11, 2009

Carnatic music

I am not an avid listener of Indian classical music but do enjoy the occasional Hindustani and Carnatic music (mostly instrumental; rarely vocal).

So, 3 videos today from Carnatic music instrumentalists who I have enjoyed in the recent past.

First up, U. Shrinivas on what is not a traditional Indian musical instrument - the mandolin.



Next a performance by Lalgudi Jayaraman on the violin, which also is not innately an Indian instrument but has been adopted by Carnatic musicians for quite a long time now.






and last but not least, a mridgangam solo -- shout out to my childhood friend, Rama, who used to play this instrument quite well.



A post with some of my favorite Hindustani instrumentalists next week...

No comments:

Not one more refugee death, by Emmy Pérez

And just like that, my #NPM2018 celebrations end with  a poem  today by Emmy Pérez. Not one more refugee death by Emmy Pérez A r...