August 21, 2008

Pictures on silence

Date: 8-21-2008
Time: 12.50pm, EST.
Location: my car
Radio Station: WHRB
The song: "I'm so lonesome i could cry" by Bill Frisell (guitar), Ron Carter (bass), Paul Motian (drums). (You can listen to it through Rhapsody.)

For just a few minutes, there was nothing else but me, the music, and a little bee I sighted buzzing around a solitary white flower nodding along in the wind. Now I know what Berthold Auerbach meant when he said: Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

And Longfellow said it more poetically (though this was not night, for a few minutes, the infectious cares did steal away.
)
And the night shall be filled with music,
And the cares that infest the day
Shall fold their tents like the Arabs
And as silently steal away.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, The Day Is Done
-
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. ~Leopold Stokowski

No comments:

Not one more refugee death, by Emmy Pérez

And just like that, my #NPM2018 celebrations end with  a poem  today by Emmy Pérez. Not one more refugee death by Emmy Pérez A r...