August 14, 2008

Of Greek Gods & Roman Emperors

I wish I knew more about Greek and Roman history. The MFA here in Boston has many historic artifacts from those two eras, which I have unfortunately not had the time to go through in detail on the two occasions I was there. Both times I reached those sections towards the end of my visit and was tiring of information fatigue by the time I got there. More than time at a museum, I need to sit down and read a good book on these two civilizations some day, though I have a feeling it is going to be almost impossible to remember and keep track of all the different Roman emperors and the "Gods" in Greek mythology.

Just some thoughts as I read just now about archaeologists digging in Turkey finding...
... the colossal marble head of a Roman empress. The discovery, at the ancient site of Sagalassos, is thought to show Faustina the Elder, wife of Roman emperor Antoninus Pius. The head of Faustina was lying face down in rubble that fills the ruins of a bath house that was partially destroyed by an earthquake between AD 540 and AD 620.
I am sure I could research this online but any suggestions for books on the subject from anyone who may read this? [I am more interested in history than mythology (1, 2) actually... though it may well be that the two intermingle sometimes, as they do with a lot of Indian history. And I would rather read a book written by a historian than acclaimed textbooks on the subject.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could try Adrian Goldsworthy's Caesar..just finished it. Remarkable portrait of the man, his politics and his wars.

Anonymous said...

Thanks - I'll check it out. I am looking for something whose scope is a few centuries but reading about Caesar and his interesting life may be worthwhile anyways.

Not one more refugee death, by Emmy Pérez

And just like that, my #NPM2018 celebrations end with  a poem  today by Emmy Pérez. Not one more refugee death by Emmy Pérez A r...