Richard Dawkins, has a new book titled, The God Delusion. In it, according to his Web site, he "eviscerates the major arguments for religion and demonstrates the supreme improbability of a supreme being (and) shows how religion fuels war, forments bigotry, and abuses children, buttressing his points with historical and contemporary evidence." For a taste of Dawkins' evangelical atheism and disbelief in belief, check out this interview with him on the BBC's Newsnight Book Club. Link to YouTube video - via (with some hyperlinks added by me) a post by David Pescovitz at Boing Boing
Interview with Richard Dawkins - The renowned biologist talks about intelligent design, dishonest Christians, and why God is no better than an imaginary friend. You can also read earlier lectures, articles, letters, commentaries, and other interviews with him, where he argues persuasively that 'God is a delusion, religion is a virus, and America has slipped back into the Dark Ages.'
Evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins explains why God is a delusion, religion is a virus, and America has slipped back into the Dark Ages.
Dawkins marshalls a lifetime's arguments against believing in God Dawkins explains why he finds the resurgence of religion so annoying
Judgement Day - Book Review: Richard Dawkins's The God Delusion gives it to believers with both barrels.
An Excerpt from Chapter 1 of the book and an excerpt from Chapter 7 of the book, titled: The "Good" Book and the changing moral Zeitgeist.
Via BBC - Jeremy Paxman talks to Richard Dawkins, including some really interesting responses from readers & listerners. You can also read some extracts from the book here.
And ofcourse, it has gained its fair share of criticism from religious and conservative forces in society... though calling it a 'incurious and rambling diatribe' against religion is perhaps unfair.
Related Books to read:
- Theology for Skeptics: Reflections on God by Dorothee Soelle
- A Devil's Chaplain by Richard Dawkins
- The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins
- Unweaving the Rainbow by Richard Dawkins
- Darwin's Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meanings of Life by Daniel C. Dennett
- Breaking the Spell by Daniel C. Dennett
- The Trial of God by Elie Wiesel
- The End of Faith by Sam Harris
- Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris
- Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon by Daniel C. Dennett
- The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason by Sam Harris
- Richard Dawkins: How a Scientist Changed the Way We Think: Reflections by Scientists, Writers, and Philosophers by Alan Grafen
- Why Darwin Matters: The Case Against Intelligent Design by Michael Shermer
- The Paradox of God and the Science of Omniscience by Cliff Pickover
- A Sense of the Mysterious: Science and the Human Spirit by Alan Lightman
- Nature Via Nurture by Matt Ridley