This is hidden away in another post of mine from last year...and so thought I'll re-post it here this week as the Darfur peace talks move ahead even as experts and analysts and experts warn of the disastrous consequences should negotiations break down and the UN says that obstruction and violence are worsening in the crisis.
Tragic that the US, NATO and the UN are doing almost nothing to intervene and have wasted over a year quibbling over semantics of whether it really is genocide or just a crisis!! Bush and Condaleeza Rice in 29 meetings with NATO and UN Security Council members this year have mentioned Darfur once.
Nicholas Kristof has been documenting photos from secret archive of thousands of photos and reports gathered by African Union to document genocide under way in Sudan's Darfur region. Kristoff quotes JFK in one of his article - "The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality."
Despite a lot of talk, articles, and thousands of internet links about the crisis (see below)... there has been little action! Maybe humor is one way of handling the anger at this apathy...
- Darfur: A Genocide We Can Stop
- UN report on Darfur (pdf)
- Darfur Drawn: The Conflict in Darfur Through Children'sEyes
- Genocide Intervention Fund
- Save Darfur.org :: Violence and Suffering in Sudan's Darfur Region
- Passion of the Present
- Human Rights Watch: Crisis in Darfur
- Darfur Coalition
- Sudan Emancipation and Preservation Network
- The Sudan Campaign
- Naming the Darfur Crisis
- Coalition for Darfur
- Crisis in Darfur---Not To Mention the ?Left? (Again)
- The War on Genocide
- Great White Warrior
- Manufacturing Public Opinion
- Satellite Images of destruction in Darfur, from USAID
- Chronology of Darfur conflict, peace efforts
- Who are Sudan's Darfur rebels?
- FACTBOX-Key facts about Darfur