"What might have been is an abstractionI have not read this famous poem in its entirety but I remember the beautiful lines from this poem that used to be on a now defunct website which I had developed 10+ years ago (hosted on geocities in those pre-blog days!).
Remaining a perpetual possibility
Only in a world of speculation."
- Four Quartets, T. S. Eliot.
"Footfalls echo in the memoryAlso, so much is conveyed through the first few lines of the first quartet itself...
Down the passage which we did not take
Towards the door we never opened
Into the rose-garden."
- Time present and time past
- Are both perhaps present in time future
- And time future contained in time past.
- If all time is eternally present
- All time is unredeemable.