September 6, 2007

Innovators under 35

The TR35
MIT's Technology Review presents its seventh class of outstanding innovators under the age of 35. These driven, creative individuals will alter the state of medicine, computing, communications, and energy. Their work represents the future of technology.

Immense self-loathing and humbleness comes thinking of all the time and talent wasted by me - not that I would even qualify for a TR35 list any more even if I were doing something useful with my life!

Also in the issue, read the interesting editorial -
Whom Should We Reward?, which discusses the recent Facebook controversy and also refers to an old controversy, which is discussed further in an article in the issue - albeit from the point of view of the rewarded, Watson. The wronged Rosalind Franklin died prematurely and though a few recent articles have tried to set the record straight 50 years after the discovery, it is the Watson-Crick model for DNA we know...not the Wilkins-Franklin model, is it?

Note: Despite hours spent on the internet, I had not heard about the whizkid, Facebook's
Joe Hewitt - until a week or two back, when I ran into two interviews with Hewitt. Reading them, I learned that he is only 23 and in addition to Facebook, (which I do not use and want no part of any of the recent wave of social-networking sites be it Orkut or Facebook or Myspace), he also contributed to developing the Firefox browser (which I use exclusively and prefer a lot over Microsoft's Internet Explorer) in a "previous life".

No comments:

Not one more refugee death, by Emmy Pérez

And just like that, my #NPM2018 celebrations end with  a poem  today by Emmy Pérez. Not one more refugee death by Emmy Pérez A r...