January 16, 2006

Shivaji Maharaj ki Jai..

No details or comments from me at this point in time (more because I lack the time and not because of any lack of opinions)...

Cut-n-paste from a post at Prufock's Page, On The Bannedwagon



James Laine's controversial The Epic of Shivaji, a translation of the Sivabharata (with the aid of S.S. Bahulkar) was actually published in 2001 -- two years before his Shivaji: Hindu King In Islamic India (which was banned by the state in 2004). In proscribing this earlier book now, the Maharashtra government said that it 'could threaten law and order and overall stability in the society'. (Considering that no tremors rocked the state in the four years that the book was available, one can only guess at their motives.)

In a recent conversation with Mid-day's Deepak Lokhande, Laine said:

'I am beginning to wonder whether your people want to participate in a scholarly debate. It happens in the rest of the world. My book was for scholars - I am not a popular author who writes for masses. I don't understand why so much attention is being given to some lines here and there....The Indian government and the Indian people have the right to decide what book they want to read...A few lines picked from the introduction have been used for banning the book. It's sad it is being stalled and it's a pity that Indian intellectuals are not raising their voice against it.'

In the Hindustan Times, Laine commented: 'Some time ago, the publishers said that there were people offended by the use of the word 'Oedipal.' I told them I had no objection to the use of another word. I have had no contact with the government.'

Well, what does it matter as long as we get a Shivaji memorial rising from the sea? Oh, hold on, there's someone else protesting.

(The Literary Saloon's earlier post here, and current one here.)



1 comment:

Unknown said...

interesting piece of information, I had come to know about your web-page from my friend pramod, jaipur,i have read atleast eight posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your blog gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanks a million once again, Regards, Quotes On Shivaji Maharaj

Not one more refugee death, by Emmy Pérez

And just like that, my #NPM2018 celebrations end with  a poem  today by Emmy Pérez. Not one more refugee death by Emmy Pérez A r...