May 5, 2009

w00t moot

Or if you are like me, you would say: what moot? who moot? why moot? Is this all a moot point? Give it the boot!

In a stunning result, the winner of the third annual TIME 100 poll and new owner of the title World's Most Influential Person is moot. The 21-year-old college student and founder of the online community 4chan.org, whose real name is Christopher Poole, received 16,794,368 votes and an average influence rating of 90 (out of a possible 100) to handily beat the likes of Barack Obama, Vladimir Putin and Oprah Winfrey. To put the magnitude of the upset in perspective, it's worth noting that everyone moot beat out actually has a job.

For all the "online" living (my ELife, I call it) I do, I never heard of moot or 4chan.org before I saw the Time list.

Here's more about moot:

Since moot launched 4chan.org in 2003, the site has given birth to Internet memes as diverse as Lolcats and Rickrolling. 4chan averages 13 million page views a day and 5.6 million visitors a month; by some estimates it is the second largest bulletin board in the world.

While reading the above, I noted this:

M.I.A. Makes the TIME 100 Producer, DJ, singer, fashion designer. Sri Lankan pop star M.I.A. has global influence across many genres. That put her on this year's TIME 100

I did not know M.I.A. was Sri Lankan!! I must be living under a rock!

If you ask me who is M. I. A.; then you're living under a bigger rock! ;) Her song, Paper Planes, was used in Slumdog Millionaire. Listen to it here on youtube.

Note: In my defense, I see now in the video that one can clearly tell that she has roots in the Indian subcontinent. But I had only heard the song on blip.fm and had not seen the video - so, had wrongly assumed it was some African American singer.

No comments:

Not one more refugee death, by Emmy Pérez

And just like that, my #NPM2018 celebrations end with  a poem  today by Emmy Pérez. Not one more refugee death by Emmy Pérez A r...